Securing job opportunities for minimally educated rural youth
As the name suggests, Utthaan equips rural youth who have received minimum formal education, with skills for gainful employment. Utthaan exposes fellows to practical and experiential learning in skills required by the local industry. The variety of skill sets Utthaan focuses on ensures that fellows have the skills and competitive advantage to kick start their professional careers.
The combination of teaching hard and soft skills ensures that fellows guarantees fellows are ready for employ ability upon completion. This course focuses on modules in English grammar, ICT (Information and Communications Technology), writing skills, basic mathematics, interview skills, hardware networking, basic electrical skills and home appliances operation and repair.Apart from the above hands-on training, Utthaan emphasizes developing goal setting skills, personality development and on inculcating strong work ethics.
At a glance:
1.The fellowship is three and a half months long
2. The first batch of fellows enrolled in the Utthaan program is in June, 2016.
3. 90 percent of the candidates are from rural areas, while 10 percent are from semi-urban regions.
4. The eligibility of the candidates has been designed for youth who have completed PUC, ITI, SSLC and 10th standard; although the program also enrolls failed graduates if they are 18 years of age.
5. Candidates get opportunities to work in companies like SERCO, Poloaries, First Sources, Koun-Chan, Airtel, Vodafone, and Vidwathi.
6. Upon completion of the program, fellows are qualified for employment opportunities in data entry, front desk, back office, call centers and other entry level jobs.